Rafael is a Brazilian-born, global creative. He’s worked his way across the globe from Brazil to the Middle East to the US, making stops at Ogilvy & Mather Brazil, Ogilvy & Mather and Leo Burnett in Dubai, Pereira & O’Dell in San Francisco, and 180LA. He’s picked up quite a few new experiences and perspectives along the way.
He's behind award-winning projects such as Boost Mobile’s “Boost Your Voice” (Integrated Grand Prix, Promo Grand Prix and Titanium winner at Cannes Lions 2017); UNICEF’s “UNfairy Tales” (Grand Prix for Good at Cannes Lions 2016); Expedia’s “Dream Adventures”; Hellmann's “Recipe Receipt”; Airbnb's “#Birdbnb,” “Solving #SochiProblems,” and “Views” (Airbnb's first global campaign); and Coca-Cola’s “Happiness Refill” and “Crossroads” (Coca-Cola’s largest-ever Latin American push). Rafael has won over 200 international awards including Golds and Pencils at D&AD, the One Show, the Clios, the London International Awards and the Effies.
An idea-led creative by nature, Rafael turned 180LA into the most awarded shop in all of TBWA’s Network Worldwide within a year of joining as ECD. He was recognized as one of Ad Age’s 40 under 40 in 2017, and ranked #13 in Business Insider’s 30 most creative people in advertising in 2016. When he’s not day dreaming, he’s playing with his dog Bucho.
- Selected among AdAge's 40 under 40 list in 2017.
- 180LA named Ad Age's A-List Standout and Creativity Innovators in 2017
- Ranked #13 in Business Insider's 30 most creative people in advertising 2016
- For its UNICEF work, 180LA was among 51 U.S. companies to be recognized by the White House – and the only advertising agency – answering President Obama’s “Call to Action,” asking American companies to make measurable commitments to ameliorate the refugee crisis
- Distinguished with 30+ Cannes Lions and in 2012, helped Ogilvy & Mather Brazil to be the 3rd agency of the year, securing the O&M Network's first ever win with the title of "Network of the Year"
- Speaker at Cannes Lions 2013 - "Foreigner: No Boundaries For Creativity" at the Grand Auditorium
- #9 Art Director in the world - The Big Won 2013
- #6 Art Director in the world - Cannes Lions Report 2012
- Ogilvy & Mather Dubai Agency of the year at Dubai Lynx International awards 2010
- Ogilvy & Mather Dubai Agency of the year at Effies awards for two years in a row (2009/2010)
- Gold at the Cannes Young Lions Competition 2008
- Served as Jury in festivals like The Clios, London International Awards (LIA), The Effies, New York Festivals, Dubai Lynx, Lisbon Awards, Kyev Awards + Others.
- 200+ international awards including Golds and pencils at, DA&D, One Show, Clios, London awards, Effies + others.
MAIN AWARDS (2008 to present)
Cannes Lions: 1 Grand Prix Integrated, 1 Grand Prix for Good, 1 Grand Prix Promo, 1 Titanium, 7 Gold, 7 Silver, 15 Bronze
One Show: 2 Gold, 6 Silver, 6 Bronze, 14 Merits
Clio Awards: 1 Grand Clio, 7 Gold, 5 Silver, 8 Bronze
DA&D: 1 White Pencil, 8 Wooden Pencils, 4 In Book
London International awards (LIA): 2 Gold, 3 Silver, 3 Bronze
AdAge's Creativity Awards: Campaign of the Year, 2017
Brand Film Festival: 1 Grand Prix
Effies: 2 Gold
El Ojo de Iberoamérica: 3 Gold, 5 Silver, 2 Bronze
The New York Festivals: 3 Bronze
Art Directors Club: 1 Bronze
The Webby Awards: 2 nominations
Radio Mercury Awards: 2x Best of Show
Dubai Lynx Awards: 6 Gold, 6 Silver, 5 Bronze
Wave: 1 Grand Prix, 5 Gold, 1 Silver, 6 Bronze
CCSP (Creative Club of São Paulo): 1 Gold, 3 Silver, 2 Bronze, 3 In Book
Smarties: 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
Jay Chiat Award: 1 Bronze
MENA Cristal: 1 grand Prix, 4 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze
Epica: 1 Silver
Current and past clients include: : HP, Miller Lite, Expedia, Skype, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Airbnb, Unilever, Burger King, McDonald's, P&G, Kraft, Nike, Samsung, Mitsubishi, GM, FIAT, Audi + others.
180LA - Los Angeles
Executive Creative Director
April 2015 - Present
Pereira & O'Dell - San Francisco
October 2012 - April 2015
Ogilvy & Mather - Brazil
Senior Art Director/Creative Director Partner
October 2011 - October 2012
Leo Burnett - Dubai
Senior Art Director
September 2010 - October 2011
Ogilvy & Mather - Dubai
Regional Art Director
October 2007 - September 2010
Artobrand - Bahrain
Senior Art Director/Designer
February 2007 - September 2007
RGA - Brazil
Senior Art Director/Creative Coordinator
November 2005 - January 2007
DA/DPA - Brazil
Jr. Art Director/Art Director
August 2001 - September 2005